August 17 Deadline Ensuring IT Security
While I have been in continuous communication with the IT community at UCSF regarding a deadline of Friday, August 14, to install BigFix UCSF-wide, all of us have a responsibility to ensure that is done. Therefore, I am extending the deadline to Monday, August 17, at 5 p.m. All laptops and desktop computers, whether UCSF-owned or personally-owned, that are used for UCSF business must have BigFix. As Chancellor Sam Hawgood and I explained in our July 17 message, every one of us must take action to keep UCSF secure. I appreciate the prompt attention many of you have already given this request.
If you have not yet done so, please complete the following actions by Monday, August 17, 5 p.m.:
- Verify that BigFix is installed by looking for the BigFix icon on your laptop or desktop.
- If BigFix is already installed, your registration is complete; no further action required.
- If you do not locate the BigFix icon, install BigFix by going to: http://it.ucsf.edu/services/bigfix-endpoint-manager
BigFix is a requirement if you are using any computer for UCSF business. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Reading UCSF email (except for the occasional use of mail.ucsf.edu)
- Accessing the APeX system
- Submitting your time sheet
- Accessing your work computer from a remote location
- Accessing UCSF through VPN
If you need assistance or have questions, please contact the IT Service Desk at 415-514-4100.
Additional information about ongoing security efforts can be found at: http://it.ucsf.edu/news/it-security-updates
Associate Vice Chancellor and
Chief Information Officer