Windows 10 Availability
Windows 10 is the most recent version of the Windows operating system and was released in July 2015, succeeding Windows 7 and 8.
Beginning October 10th, Windows 10 will be deployed on new systems and re-imaged systems that meet hardware requirements. An upgrade to Windows 10 is not required and will be rolled out to customers as new hardware is deployed or computers re-imaged. Windows 7 is supported until 2020, and as the end of support nears, we will proactively upgrade systems. Note that Windows 10 will include Office 2016.
The current timeline for Windows 10 availability is below:
- March - June 2016: Development and testing of Windows 10 image for beta testing
- July - September 2016: Finalizing of image changes and processes
- October 10th 2016: Official support for Windows 10 begins!
We anticipate that most applications compatible with Windows 7 will also be compatible with Windows 10. For a list of applications that have been evaluated for Windows 10, click here: https://wiki.library.ucsf.edu/pages/editpage.action?pageId=394466296.
The Windows 10 team can provide you with a virtual platform for testing any specialized applications if necessary. Please contact us at IT-Questions@ucsf.edu
UCSF Standard Application Compatibility
The following UCSF standard applications have been tested and are compatible with Windows 10.
- Dell Data Protection & Encryption (DDPE)
- Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)
- IBM BigFix Client Management Agent
- Office 2010, 2013 and 2016
- Junos Pulse Client (VPN)
- CrashPlan Backup Client
- ForeScout Secure Connector (NAC)
- Citrix Client
Recommended Hardware Requirements
Hardware must meet the following recommended requirements before having Windows 10 installed:
- 256GB hard drive (IT recommends a solid state drive (SSD) for improved performance.)
- 8GB RAM
- i5 or better processor
Currently Supported UCSF Devices (Compatible for Windows 10)
Dell OptiPlex Models
Dell Latitude Models
Departments should refer to the UCSF Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information Resources as well as Information Security and Confidentiality (Policy Number 650-16) to increase awareness for privacy and protection.