Proper computer security is an ongoing process - use these steps to get started.
- Ensure anti-virus software is installed, active, and updated.
- Use a firewall to help protect your computer from remote attacks.
- Turn off unnecessary services.
- Tools to detect and remove spyware and other similar threats.
- Check for operating system updates and fixes.
- Make sure that updates have been installed for all software.
- Logoff or lock the computer desktop whenever you walk away.
- Manage and protect your computer accounts and passwords.
- Secure personal, confidential, and ePHI by using encryption.
Once your security foundation is set up, stay vigilant!
- Backup your data.
- Consider the physical security of your computer and your data.
- Do you really know what you just downloaded/installed on your computer?
- Beware social engineering scams.