Advance is a secure web-based application that provides faculty, academics, and academic personnel administrators with academic profile information, as well as online tools designed to manage the academic appointment and advancement process.
Advance is accessible via MyAccess.
Note: VPN is NOT required if connecting to Advance from off-campus
In fact, when connecting to Advance from off-campus, if you login through VPN you may experience issues when trying to save data to your CV.
Advance is available for use at all times except when there are scheduled maintenance events. Faculty and Administrative users will be notified via the Faculty listserv and Advance-L in cases of unforeseen outages.
Access to Advance is either automatic (academic titles) or is granted through a request made to AdvanceProject@ucsf.edu. Typically, administrative access is reserved for people within the HR Shared Services Team. However, departments may request limited access (see below) to enable an overview of Faculty and Non-Faculty Academics (NFAs) within the department. Requests for access should be approved by the Chair and/or MSO for the department.
- Faculty and Non-Faculty Academics
By default, all Faculty and Non-Faculty Academics (NFAs) with an appointment in the Campus Online Personnel and Payroll System (OLPPS) are automatically granted access to Advance.
- Other roles
- Administrator - Has access to all Faculty and NFA records within one or more assigned Department IDs (DeptIDs). Allows the user to view/search all Faculty/NFA records who have a Home Department, an Academic Department, and/or a WOS appointment that falls within the Administrator's assigned DeptID(s). Also enables the Administrator to run reports for records that fall within the assigned DeptID(s).
- Admin Plus - Assigned in conjunction with the Administrator role. Admin Plus can see what the Administrator role can see but can also View academic review packets, the most recent packet CV, and can draft the Chair Letter for active academic review packets. The Admin Plus role also has access to two "Dashboard" reports that enable an overview of academic packets.
- Academic Personnel Administrators (aka "Academic Generalists" or "APAs") - Assigned in conjunction with the Administrator role, the APA manages the academic review process within HR Shared Services: works directly with the academic candidates to create policy-compliant academic review packets; assigns packets to departmental review committees, Chairs, Deans, CAP, and the Vice Provost for review and approval. The Academic Personnel Administrator role is only granted by Shared Services managers and directors.
- The Advance-L listserv has been established for Advance. The listserv provides:
- A communication vehicle to disseminate important Advance related information to all Advance administrative users.
- A method to communicate changes to the system or notifications regarding outages.
Advance is compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
Supported browsers include:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x, 9
- Firefox 3.x
- Safari 5
- Chrome 21
For help with password resets, Advance questions, or support issues:
- Submit a ticket at help.ucsf.edu
- Call the UCSF ITS Service Desk at 415-514-4100
- email: CustomerSupport@ucsf.edu
Related Services & Links