Nessus is a system vulnerability scanner, which is able to find vulnerabilities within a system. These vulnerabilities are often due to a system operating system being out of date, and insecure network applications (SSH, FTP, etc.).
How to get started:
ITS Security and Policy can scan your system for vulnerabilities. When the scan is complete, we will provide you with a report detailing the vulnerabilities found during the scan, their relative security severity, as well as detailed remediation report that will help you remove the vulnerabilities.
What we need from you:
- The IP of the system to scan.
- Technical contact for the server.
- Network access to the system
- Disable endpoint protection software that may interfere with the scan (i.e. intrusion prevention software, host-based firewall).
- Time frame for us to perform the scan (scheduled scan).
How do I get started?
Contact the Service Desk at 415-514-4100, and submit a request, or email email@example.com.