Creating a signature
When you need to sign a document for the first time, DocuSign will lead you through the process of adopting a signature. You can also access the same signature-adopting interface at any time to edit your signature and initials.
You have three options for adopting a signature and initials. All options are equally secure.
- 1. Choose a font and adopt your name and initials in that font
- 2. Write your name and initials with your mouse on your computer or with your finger on a tablet or smartphone
- 3. Upload a scanned version of your handwritten signature
Note: Options 1 and 2 can be set up when you first click on a "sign here" tab to sign a document. Option 3 needs to be done through editing your preferences when logged into the DocuSign console via MyAccess. Options 1 and 2 can be set up there as well.
- Getting to signature-adoption page
- If you have not signed a DocuSign document before, when you click on the yellow signature tag or the initial tag , a pop-up window prompting you to select a signature will appear.
- If you want to edit your pre-existing signature, you can reach the signature-editing screen by clicking on 'edit' in the DocuSign ID Card on your home page or by clicking on the upside-down arrow in the top right-hand corner of the screen, then selecting 'Preferences' and then selecting 'Manage Identity' from the left-hand menu bar. Then select 'Edit' in the lower right-hand corner of the ID card.
- Adopting a signature and initials.
- Option 1 - Font Selection
- On a computer, the default will prompt you to select a font for your name and initials.
* Do not edit the text of your name or initials. In this case, do not change the text of your signature to say "Kevin Robert Smith" with initials "KRS" or if your legal name is Kevin, but everyone knows you as Robert, do not change it to "Robert Smith." If you want to change your DocuSign account name, submit a ticket.
Option 2 - Drawing signature and initials
If you prefer to draw your signature, click on 'Draw' and then a box will appear where you can draw your signature and initials. This is the default on a mobile app.
Once you are satisfied with your signature, click 'Adopt and Sign.'
Option 3 - Uploading scanned signature and initials
To upload a handwritten version of your signature, you will need to access the adopt signature page by clicking on 'edit' in the DocuSign ID Card on your home page or by clicking on the upside-down arrow in the top right-hand corner of the screen, then selecting 'Preferences' and then selecting 'Manage Identity' from the left-hand menu bar. Then select 'Edit' in the lower right-hand corner of the ID card. Click on 'Manage Signature' and then choose 'Upload' on the next screen. Select the file that you want to use - it must be less than 200kb and be a .png, .jpg, .bmp, or .gif file.