Security Update:VMware Releases Updates to Address Critical Vulnerability
Date and Time
VMware ESXi and Appliance Users
VMware has released security updates to address a CRITICAL glibc security vulnerability.
Advanced Users: For a complete description of the security enhancement and affected software refer to VMware Security Advisory VMSA-2016-0002 at http://www.vmware.com/security/advisories/VMSA-2016-0002.html.
- ESXi 5.5 without patch ESXi550-201602401-SG
- VMware virtual appliances
WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
Exploitation of the vulnerability may allow an attacker to take control of your computer.
HOW DO I PROTECT MY COMPUTER?
VMware recommends customers evaluate and deploy patches for affected products as these patches become available. In case patches are not available, customers are advised to deploy the workaround.
- If IT Field Services or you have other IT support, no action on your part is required.
- If you do not have IT support, updates may be obtained through VMware Security Advisory VMSA-2016-0002 at http://www.vmware.com/security/advisories/VMSA-2016-0002.html.
- IT Security at http://it.ucsf.edu/security