This content is viewable by Everyone
- Service:Box: Cloud Storage
With the exception of Box Notes, Box cannot save simultaneous changes.
When two people are editing the same file simultaneously, one version will be saved as the more recent version, and the one edited by the other user will be saved as filename-(user’s email address).
To prevent duplicates or version confusion, you will need to lock a file before working in it. This prevents all other collaborators from working in it while you are doing so.
Locking a file for editing
- Preview the file by left-clicking it.
- Click the button above the Preview window.
- Select Lock file.
- After you have selected Lock File, you can adjust how long you would like to have the file locked.
- Select the desired time frame in the Lock duration drop-down list.
- If you would like the file locked indefinitely until you decide otherwise, select the Until unlocked duration.
- You can also choose 5 min, 15 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month or 2 months.
- Click Lock to save your settings.
Unlocking the file you previously locked
To unlock the file, go back to the Preview window and select Unlock file.
Locking a file with Box Sync
You can also lock files via Box Sync.
- Go to your Box Sync folder, right-click the file you want to lock, mouse over Box Sync and select Lock File.
- Locking the file this way will lock it indefinitely until you unlock it.