Transitioning from Movi to Jabber UC - Windows
Using Jabber Unified Communication (UC) instead of Jabber Movi for a Video Call for Windows
For the limited number of customer using Jabber Movi/Jabber for Telepresence, beginning May 27th, you will no longer be able to use the Jabber Movi for videoconferencing. Cisco has discontinued support of this software, which requires an upgrade to the Jabber Unified Communications.
Launching Jabber UC
- If you are on a UCSF IT managed computer and had Jabber Movi installed, we have installed Jabber UC for you.
- If you need to install the software
- Go to https://software.ucsf.edu/
- Go to "Other Software" on the top right of the page
- Download the appropriate version of Cisco Jabber Unified Communication for your operating system
- Follow installation instructions listed on the page
Signing into Jabber UC
- Sign in with your Network/Active Directory username and password. Your username will need to have @ucsf.edu added as a suffix.
- E.g. [email protected]. DO NOT user your email address for this login.
- Password: UCSF Network/Active Directory password
Once you have successfully logged in, the Jabber client will remember your username. Future logins will require you to enter just your network/active directory password.
Making a Test Video Call
Making a test call will confirm your configuration is correct.
- In the "Search or Call" Field enter [email protected] (This is a TESTING bridge - do not use this for meetings)
- Pause and wait for a menu bar to appear (see image below). From the drop-down menu click on the green phone icon to start the call.
- If the call is successful, you will be connected to a video bridge with text at the bottom stating “you are the only participant”. You should also hear “You are the first participant in the conference” via audio. (see image below)
You will see the following if you have successfully connected.
Troubleshooting Jabber UC Contact Search & Audio/Video Issues
If are unable to search contacts on your Jabber client search bar, or are unable to see the green "phone" icon next to a contact when trying to make an audio/video call:
- Click on settings cog/wheel on top right of the Jabber UC client
- Select help, and then click on "Show Connection Status".
- Ensure that you have a green checkbox next to softphone, presence & Directory sections.
- Softphone service is responsible for Jabber client's audio/video capability
- Directory service allows you to search contacts within UCSF.
- Click Options
- Sign into any service showing a red error message with your network/ad username and password
- A final troubleshooting step is to sign out from the client and sign back in.