New Box Experience
The new Box UI streamlines navigation, improves search, and enhances preview. You can try out the new UI by visiting https://ucsf.app.box.com/on/allnewbox. To temporarily revert to the old UI before September 4, simply visit https://ucsf.app.box.com/on/legacy.
Comparison of the old Box experience versus the new Box experience.
(click on screenshots to enlarge)
Changes to the More Actions menu
With the new Box experience, the button is no longer visible by default, but it will appear when you hover over the file or folder you would like to interact with.
- The Delete link has been moved from the main area of the drop-down menu to the More Actions submenu and renamed from Delete to Trash. If you are selecting a folder of which you are a collaborator, but not an owner of, this all still applies except that Delete has been renamed to End Collaboration.
- The Embed Widget link has been moved from the Sharing submenu to the More Actions submenu.
- The Set Expiration and Watermarking links have been moved from the Properties submenu to the More Actions submenu.
- The Add / Edit Tags link has been moved from the Properties submenu to the More Actions submenu and renamed as Add or Edit Tags. Adding a new tag with the new Box Experience is slightly different compared to the old Box experience. With the old Box experience, you used to separate each tag by typing a comma in between them. With the new Box experience, you separate your tags by pressing Enter. Once you are satisfied with the way you have your tags set up, click Save to save your changes.
- The Properties > General Info link has been removed from folders in the new Box experience. If you would like to change the description of a folder, you can edit it by selecting the folder, selecting the Details tab, and then editing the area that says Enter a description.
Changes to Preview
Old Box Experience:
New Box Experience:
- The button is no longer in file previews. The same features, such as Lock file, Favorite, Move / Copy, and Upload new version are still available outside of the file under the main More Actions menu before you preview it. Send Feedback has been moved to the front page under the icon and has been renamed to Provide Feedback.
Changes to Profile drop-down menu
- The Collaborators and Trash links have been moved from the Profile drop-down menu to the left side of the front page.
- The Get Box Sync link has been removed from the Profile drop-down menu. Box Sync can still be downloaded at Box's downloads page.
With the new Box Experience, Box has moved most links to the left of the front page for an easier to navigate layout. In addition, Box has also added a few new features.
- Recents is a list of the most recent updates you have made to your files.
- Synced to Desktop is a list of all of the folders you have selected to sync to your Box Sync application
- Box Notes is a list of every Box Note you have on your account for easy access.
- Box has introduced Grid View, making it easier to sort through your images.
- Box has also made it easier to search for things with a new and improved Search filter. You can now narrow down your searches by File Type, Date Updated, Owners, and selecting to search only within the folder you are currently in.
- File Type allows you to search by the type of file it is such as if it was an audio, image, document, or spreadsheet. You can search by Audio, Box Note, Document, Drawing, Folder, Image, PDF, Presentation, Spreadsheet, Video, and 3D.
- Date Updated allows you to search by the date and time you saved the file. If you don't remember the exact time frame, but you remember that you saved it sometime within the week, you can select Past Week to search through only the files you have updated this past week. You can search by Any Time, Past Day, Past Week, Past Month, Past Year, and Custom Range.
- Owners allows you to search through folders owned by the collaborator you specify.
- Only search inside of "..." allows you to search only in the folder you are currently in.
Contact the UCSF Service Desk by either calling 415-514-4100 or by visiting this link.