Background: Communication coordinators and analysts in all areas of the UCSF enterprise frequently receive feedback that the amount of “blast” messages need to be reduced significantly; however, the number of requests received by central administration to promote content and events to “the campus” via a “campuswide” email message are many. The terms “campuswide” and “everyone” often fail to accurately identify the target audience. Is the message relevant and appropriate for ALL academics, staff, and students? If not, then the responsible campus unit should be contacted directly in order to determine an effective communications strategy.
Objective: In order to increase awareness regarding requests for campuswide announcements and notifications as well as to be responsive to reports of excessive broadcast email activity, the following guidelines and information were developed for consistency of response to said requests; and in so doing reduce administrative burden on administrators and faculty while allowing for sufficient and efficient communication. Please convey this information to individuals exploring the possibility of sending a campuswide message.
Current contact for campuswide messages:
- Brenda Gee DePeralta
Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
CHAN-MSG; UCSF ANNOUNCEMENT; SVC-MSG; EVC-MSG
The individual listed above is among those who have authority to send messages to all campus constituencies from select accounts.
(NOTE: UCSFPD has its own mechanism for safety and security purposes only.)
- Content must be applicable to all academics,staff, students, and housestaff(residents).While the entire campus community may be welcome, consider whether all constituencies would be interested in participating. Remember that UCSF is over 20,000 strong but only a small percentage will have a vested interest. Utilize local departmental as well as school mechanisms and websites to communicate your information and event. The UCSFCommunicators Network may also be a valuable resource for distribution.
- When making a request to any of the individuals above to send a campuswide message, please confirm that the appropriate unit head and dean/vice chancellor has approved the content indicating that it warrants a wide distribution.
- The originating unit must provide a draft message and content. Do not use attachments. Embed the flyer or include all relevant information in the body of the message. Large files will disable the listserv server. Post the same information on an appropriate campus website.
- If the message is in regard to an event, utilize the campus and featured academic events calendars available at www.ucsf.edu , www.ucsf.edu/news, Synapse, and other news syndicates.
- The text should be thorough but concise and must include contact information.
- Ensure that all links work.
 The “allacad” listserv includes but is not limited to faculty.
 “All staff” consists of two separate listservs: campus and Medical Center. Not all announcements are intended for Medical Center staff and must be cleared through Medical Center Internal Communications Manager Laurie Itow.
Campuswide Listserv Guidlines (pdf version for printing) (application/pdf, 119.8 kB, info)