Exemption from IT Field Services
- Exempt Positions
- Geographic Service Area
- Basic Science Research Exemption
- Responsibilities of Exempt Users
The UCSF IT Field Services (ITFS) group provides consistent, excellent desktop support to all members of the UCSF community. To help fulfill the Chancellor’s Operational Excellence initiative, our mandate includes hardware, software, and service standardization in order to achieve savings, provide business continuity, and manage risk. For answers to your questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us at ITFS-Questions@ucsf.edu.
ITFS began service in February 2013, and is onboarding customers through December 2014. Departments decide when, during that time period, they prefer to join.
Beginning in January 2015 all non-exempt faculty and staff will be automatically enrolled in ITFS monthly service.
- New faculty and staff will appear in ServiceNow every night.
- ServiceNow will compare them against the exemption criteria to determine their eligibility.*
- The new hire's manager will receive notification of the enrollment, with a link to the Account Request Form (ARF). You can use the ARF to upgrade to Premium support, grant access to file servers, etc.
Trainees, volunteers, employees of affiliated organizations, those outside of the ITFS service area, and those in specific job classifications whose work doesn’t require computers are exempt from automatic enrollment in ITFS monthly service. No exemption request is required for these title codes. Departments can pay for ITFS monthly or hourly service for these employees, if they choose.
*Note: Review of exempt positions is an automated nightly process and relies on the accuracy and completeness of HR data, including title code, affiliation, building code, department, and WOS flag. Inaccurate or missing HR data may lead to the enrollment of an individual who should be automatically exempt. In these cases, the department will need to work with HR to assure employee data is accurate and complete.
- Students, including professional, masters, and doctoral students
- Residents, including interns, housestaff, and chief residents
- Fellows, but only when they are in their training program
- Post-Doctoral Scholars (postdocs)
- Staff volunteers
- Unpaid interns
- Volunteer clinical faculty
- Faculty with WOS appointments
- Gladstone Institutes
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Veterans Affairs Medical Centers
- San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Alameda County Medical Center
This is the complete list of exempt title codes. Some of the following staff title codes are exempt because their work doesn't require the use of a computer. Supervisory versions of these title codes are not automatically exempt.
|Title Code||Title Name||Type|
|1118||VISITING PROFESSOR - FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1132||PROF EMERITUS (WOS)||Faculty|
|1218||VST ASSOC PROFESSOR-FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1318||VST ASST PROFESSOR -FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1712||VIS ASST PROF-HCOMP||Faculty|
|1713||VIS ASSOC PROF-HCOMP||Faculty|
|2037||ASSOC CLIN PROF-VOL||Faculty|
|2057||ASST CLIN PROF-VOL||Faculty|
|2311||TEACHG ASST-NON GSHIP||Trainee|
|2312||TEACHG ASST-GSHIP/NON REP||Trainee|
|2313||TEACHG ASST-NON GSHIP/NON REP||Trainee|
|2708||RESID PHYS I/NON REP||Trainee|
|2724||RESID PHYS II-VIII/NON REP||Trainee|
|2725||CHIEF RESID PHYS-NON REP||Trainee|
|2726||RESID PHYS/SUBSPEC 4-8/NON REP||Trainee|
|2727||POST DDS I-VI/NON REP||Trainee|
|PGY I PHARMACY RESID/NON REP||Trainee|
|2729||PGY II PHARMACY RESID/NON REP||Trainee|
|2732||OTH POST-MD TRAIN 2-8/NON REP||Trainee|
|2735||STIPEND-OTH POST-MD TRAIN||Trainee|
|2737||OTH POST DDS/NON REP||Trainee|
|2740||NON-PHYS CLIN TRAIN||Trainee|
|3218||VIS ASSOC RES||Trainee|
|3228||VIS ASST RES||Trainee|
|3249||SENATE EMERITUS (WOS)||Faculty|
|3282||GSR-FULL FEE REM||Trainee|
|3800||NON-SENATE ACAD EMERITUS(WOS)||Faculty|
|4011||RECREATION PRG INSTR||Staff|
|4672||CLERK SR OR SECR||Staff|
|4739||STDT INTERN PD||Trainee|
|4822||MAIL PROCESSOR SR||Staff|
|4824||MAIL PROCESSOR AST||Staff|
|4921||STDT AST 2||Staff|
|5060||STOREKEEPER SR LD||Staff|
|5099||CUSTODIAN SR PD||Staff|
|5167||LIGHT FIXTURE ATTENDANT||Staff|
|5200||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 3 B||Staff|
|5201||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 3 A||Staff|
|5202||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 2||Staff|
|5203||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 1||Staff|
|5332||PARKING REPR LD||Staff|
|5333||PARKING REPR SR||Staff|
|5441||FOOD SVC CRD||Staff|
|5452||FOOD SVC WORKER LD||Staff|
|5455||FOOD SVC WORKER PD||Staff|
|5456||FOOD SVC WORKER SR PD||Staff|
|5650||FOOD SVC WORKER PRN||Staff|
|5651||FOOD SVC WORKER SR||Staff|
|5652||FOOD SVC WORKER||Staff|
|5821||LINEN SVC HEAD SR||Staff|
|5822||LINEN SVC HEAD WORKER||Staff|
|5832||LINEN SVC WORKER SR||Staff|
|5833||LINEN SVC WORKER||Staff|
|5835||LAUNDRY ROTARY PRESS OPR||Staff|
|5841||LAUNDRY MACHINE OPR SR||Staff|
|5842||LAUNDRY MACHINE OPR||Staff|
|5863||POWER SEWING MACHINE OPR||Staff|
|8097||PHYS PLT LABORER GARDENER B||Staff|
|8098||PHYS PLT LABORER GARDENER A||Staff|
|8114||PHYS PLT SUPT SR||Staff|
|8115||PHYS PLT SUPT||Staff|
|8116||PHYS PLT SUPT AST||Staff|
|8172||PHYS PLT MECH SR||Staff|
|8174||PHYS PLT MECH||Staff|
|8211||BLDG MAINT WORKER LD||Staff|
|8212||BLDG MAINT WORKER SR||Staff|
|8213||BLDG MAINT WORKER||Staff|
|8311||LAB GLASSBLOWER PRN||Staff|
|8312||LAB GLASSBLOWER SR||Staff|
|8314||LAB GLASSBLOWER TRAINEE||Staff|
|8485||AUTO EQUIP OPR PRN||Staff|
|8486||AUTO EQUIP OPR SR||Staff|
|8487||AUTO EQUIP OPR||Staff|
|8535||LAUNDRY TRUCK DRIVER||Staff|
|9460||ATH TRAINER PD||Staff|
|9521||ANIMAL RESC MGR||Staff|
|9522||ANIMAL RESC SUPV||Staff|
|9523||ANIMAL TCHN PRN||Staff|
|9524||ANIMAL TCHN SR||Staff|
|9526||ANIMAL TCHN AST||Staff|
|9534||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 4||Staff|
|9535||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 3||Staff|
|9536||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 2||Staff|
|9537||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 1||Staff|
- Parnassus Heights
- Laurel Heights
- Mount Zion
- Mission Center Building
- San Francisco General Hospital
- Mission Bay
- 50 Beale Street
- Buchanan Dental Center, 100 Buchanan Street
- China Basin Building, 185 Berry Street
- 3360 Geary Boulevard
- 2300 Harrison Street
- Hunters Point Facility, 900 Palou Avenue
- 2727 Mariposa Street
- 1930 Market Street
- 654 Minnesota Street
- 982 Mission Street
- 220 Montgomery Street
ITFS is not able to provide on-site support at the San Francisco VA Medical Center or at personal residences. If you have questions about a specific service location please contact us at ITFS-Questions@ucsf.edu.
Departments can request exemptions for full-time research FTEs who do not work with restricted data at any time in the course of their employment. Exemptions require approval from the Department Manager, Department Chair, and Dean or EVCP. Please carefully review the definition of restricted data (including confidential information, personal information, and protected or research health information) in UCSF administrative policy 650-16 before submitting a request.
To request an exemption:
- For each lab, send the name of the Principal Investigator requesting an exemption for any lab member/s to ITFS-Questions@ucsf.edu; one email per lab.
- Indicate whether you want to enter the lab member names or have the PI enter the names.
- Be sure to review the Title Code list above to determine which lab members you will exempting.
- ITFS will create the form in DocuSign and send it to the PI (or Requester) to populate the list.
- Once the PI completes the form it will be automatically routed to your department manager and chair, who will review the risk and any financial impact from a lack of compliance before approval.
- If your department leadership approves the form it will be automatically routed to your dean or the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost (EVCP) for approval.
- If your dean or the EVCP approves the form it will be returned to ITFS. The Director will review requests monthly with the IT Field Services Advisory Board.
For any questions regarding eligibility or how to fill out the form please contact us at ITFS-Questions@ucsf.edu.
In addition to excellent desktop support, ITFS helps you comply with information security laws and policies, and enrollment is a common corrective action in security audits. Exempt users are still personally responsible for awareness of and compliance with all relevant information security laws and policies. You can find more information about your responsibilities, including your personal liability, on the UCSF Information Security website.
ITFS will annually review exemptions with department management to determine if any changes in eligibility or risk have occurred.