Operating System Requirements - IT Field Services
The following sections outline operating systems currently supported by ITFS, no longer supported by ITFS, and future operating system support plans for ITFS.
- Windows 7, Service Pack 1 and above
- Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
- Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
- Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
No Longer Supported
- Windows XP (April 8, 2014)
- Window Vista (2010/2011)
- Windows 2000 (2010)
- Windows NT (2004)
- Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
- Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
- Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
- Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Support End of Life
Windows XP - April 8, 2014
It is recommended that you upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible. Failing to upgrade your system from Windows XP can result in security vulnerabilities, lack of updates, lack of support and unexpected system behavior. This could directly effect your ability to conduct UCSF business. There will no longer be security patches, driver updates or escalated support options available after April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer meet the UCSF minimum security standards and this may result in removal of network access.
All systems upgraded by ITFS will require new hard drives, at a cost of ~$60 for desktops and ~$180 for laptops.
|Computer Age||RAM||Replace||Reimage||Upgrade RAM and Reimage||Notes|
|≤ 3 years||≥ 4GB||X||This will increase the useful life of the computer by 2 or more years.|
|4 years||≥ 4GB||X*||
This will increase the useful life of the computer by 1 year.
|≥ 5 years||any||X||This computer is obsolete, and should be replaced.|
- If you would like your computer upgraded by ITFS, please submit a ticket.
- ITFS provides directions and information for imaging a system to Windows 7 here: ITFS System Imaging. Please contact your departmental CSC for assistance.
- ITFS can provide consulting to evaluate the impact and resources required to upgrade to Windows 7 at no cost for non-subscribers.
- ITFS can do the conversion for you. An average upgrade is 3-6 hours depending on the amount of data and applications, at the rate of $75/hour. To request this service please submit a ticket.
Future Operating Systems
- Windows 10 - Pending testing and application validation. No ETA.
- Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) - Pending testing and application validation. No ETA.
- UCOP and UCSF Minimum Security requirements:
- UCSF IT Security Exception Process:
- UCSF – JACS Computer Program for purchasing standardized, discounted Apple and Dell computer systems