- Cisco Jabber UC is available to all faculty, staff, students, and affiliates with active UCSF email accounts. Most all faculty, staff, students, and affiliates should be enabled for Jabber IM Chat. If soft phone capability is needed then a help desk ticket will need to be opened to request this feature. Please note text messaging is not available via Jabber.
How to request a UC Jabber account for IM Chat and/or a Jabber Soft Phone
- Download and install the appropriate Cisco Jabber UC client for Windows or Mac operating systems from the UCSF Software download site.
- To get IT help, contact the IT Service Desk online or by phone at 415-514-4100.
UCSF's current Cisco Jabber UC implementation supports the following features:
Instant messaging and persistent chat
- Chat securely with one-to-one or group instant messaging.
- Create persistent chat rooms and invite people to them from throughout the enterprise.
- Add Cisco Jabber UC contacts directly from the UCSF Directory.
Audio and video calling
- Make and receive audio calls to users within and outside the enterprise.
- Make and receive video calls to users or video endpoints (conference rooms or carts) within the enterprise.
- Join multiparty video conferences via an on-premise video conference bridge.
- In real-time, you can:
- View your contacts' availability status (e.g., Available, Away).
- Display your own availability.
How to Request Access
All UCSF users (faculty, staff, students and affiliates) with an active UCSF email account are configured for Cisco Jabber UC. However, users are required to download and install the appropriate Cisco Jabber UC client for their computer platform, Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh Operating Systems. This Cisco Jabber UC client installer can be downloaded from UCSF Software download site. For mobile clients, download the latest Cisco Jabber app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
To get IT help, contact the Service Desk online, or via phone at 415-514-4100.