How to Enroll in and Use Keeper Password Vault
Instructions for how to enroll in and use Keeper Password Vault.
Please note: Keeper is intended for UCSF work purposes only. If you do use it for personal accounts, when you separate from UCSF, this information will be immediately removed and irretrievable.
How to Enroll and Log In
Anyone with a UCSF email account already enrolled in Duo two-factor authentication can use Keeper. If you do not have Duo you can request it through the IT Service Desk.
1. Go to https://keepersecurity.com/vault/# and complete the "Create Your Keeper Account" form by entering your UCSF email address, setting a Master Password, and setting a security question and answer.
Your master password should be at least 12 characters, with at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one special character, and one number.
Accept the terms of service and click “Create account.”
2. You will be prompted to enter a verification code automatically emailed to you by Keeper. The subject line will be “Your Keeper account is ready.” It may take a few minutes to receive the email.
3. Enter the verification code. NB: You must enter the correct verification code. If you don't, you will have to have your account deleted and start over.
4. Once you’re in Keeper you will be prompted to import your passwords, which you can do now or save for later.
5. Keeper will guide you through a Quick Start process.
6. After you log out for the first time, the next time you log in you will need to change your master password.
7. After you change your master password you will be prompted to enroll in Duo two-factor authentication.
8. Turn on Duo for Keeper by moving the toggle to the right and click "Next."
9. Once enrolled in Duo you will receive the standard Duo prompts.
How to Use Keeper
Once you've enrolled in Keeper, visit https://keepersecurity.com/download.html to download Keeper for your desktop, mobile, and tablet. If you're new to Keeper, or password vaults in general, we recommend trying the KeeperFill™ browser extension or full desktop application.
KeeperFill™ Browser Extension
Keeper Desktop Application
How to Reset your Master Password
If you forget your Master Password, you must use Keeper's Account Recovery feature. Account Recovery is based on your security question, security answer, email address, and Duo two-factor authentication code.
1. Open Keeper online at https://keepersecurity.com/vault/, iOS app, Android app, or Desktop app.
2. After you attempt to login, you will receive an error message with a “Forgot Password” option. Click it.
3. Look for an email from “Keeper Security” containing a backup verification code.
4. Enter the verification code on the Keeper website. Click “Proceed.”
5. You will receive a Duo two-factor authentication push, text, or call to your Duo-enrolled mobile device. Approve the request.
6. Keeper will then ask you your pre-determined security question. Answer and click “Proceed.”
7. Choose a new Master Password. Click “Proceed.”
8. If you are unable to complete the Account Recovery procedure, please contact Keeper directly.