Logging into your UCSF account for the first time
The first time to log into your UCSF account (i.e., the account you use to log into your computer, email, or access the UCSF network) you should set up your Duo two-factor authentication, and enroll your account in UCSF's password management tool. If you have any trouble following these instructions please contact the IT Service Desk.
- Go to https://email.ucsf.edu to log into your email account. The first time you log in you will be asked to enroll in Duo two-factor authentication. You may have to scroll down to see the Start Setup button. Click it to start your Duo enrollment.
- Select the type of device you will use to authenticate your logins, then click Continue. We strongly recommend using the Duo mobile app on your smartphone. You can download the Duo mobile app for Android, iOS, and every popular mobile platform.
- Enter your mobile phone number. Once Duo verifies the country and number format, check the box below to verify that this is the correct number, then click Continue.
- To verify your ownership of the phone number, click Call me or Text me. If you click Call me, you will receive a phone call on your mobile, and an automated voice will read a 6-digit code to you. If you click Text me, you will receive a text message with a 6-digit code. Enter the 6-digit code in the box and click Verify. Once verified, you may need to scroll down to see the Continue button. Click Continue to proceed.
- On the next screen you will see your newly-registered device listed. You can register additional devices, but your Duo enrollment is complete. You may need to scroll down to see the Continue to Login button. Click Continue to Login.
- You will see a message telling you that your Duo enrollment was successful. Click one of the buttons to complete your login. In the example below we clicked Send Me a Push. For more information about all of the Duo login options and how they work, see Duo Authentication Methods.
- Now log into the UCSF VPN portal at https://remote.ucsf.edu.
- Select your Duo authentication method to complete your login
- Click on the UCSF Password Management Tool bookmark.
Please go to How to Use the UCSF Password Management Tool for instructions on enrolling in and using the tool.