There are two ways to send an envelope:
- From the DocuSign home page, click New and then select Send an Envelope.
- Select the MANAGE tab from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Click New and then select Send an Envelope.
The sending screen has several components – the document(s) to be signed, the recipients and routing, any specific message that you would want to add to the email notification that your recipients will receive, and any modifications to the default envelope settings.
Add Documents to the Envelope
- Select the file that you want to be signed. Click UPLOAD to choose a file from your hard drive. If you are using a DocuSign template, click on USE A TEMPLATE and select the appropriate template. If it is a shared template, you may need to click on the Shared with Me section to find the right template. Select the checkbox of the template you would like to add and Click ADD SELECTED.
Add Recipients to the Envelope
- Routing - Add the name and email address of the first recipient and then click ADD RECIPIENT to add more recipients. The order column allows you to select the routing order for the document. Select the Set signing order checkbox and fill in the numbers below to designate the order each recipient should receive and act on the document. 1 indicates that it will be the first stage of the process. If two recipients are listed as 1, they will receive notifications simultaneously. Once those signatures are complete, the document will be routed to step 2, etc. If you click on SIGNING ORDER, you will see a visual representation of the workflow to confirm that it is set up as you want it to be. The NEEDS TO SIGN drop-down menu allows you to choose the role of that recipient. The most common actions are Needs to Sign (inserting any signature or other information onto the document) and Receives a Copy (cc). Click here for more information on the other actions.
- Customizing email subject and message - Scroll down to the Message to All Recipients section. Write the subject for the email notification in Please DocuSign:. If you would like to add specific content to the notification email that all of your recipients receive, enter that text into the Enter Message text box. If, however, you want to send a note to only a particular recipient, select the Custom email and language for each recipient checkbox and scroll down to the email subject and message section that says To: (recipient's name).
- Reminders and Expirations - You can find these settings by clicking the Edit link next to Advanced Options. The default settings for reminders is that a reminder will be sent after 3 days and then again every 3 days that follow until the document is signed. It is set to expire after 60 days and send a warning notification about the expiration 14 days before it expires. Note that these are calendar days, not business days. You can disable reminders but you cannot disable expiration. If you do not want an envelope to expire, set a very long expiration date, like 999 days. Do not put 0 in the Number of days before request expires: slot. Branding should always be "UCSF."
- Send or Tag - If you are using a template that already has specified tags (locations for where signing or other fields should populate on the document) or if you want to allow your signer to decide where to place those fields, click ACTIONS on the blue taskbar at the top of the screen and click the SEND NOW button. If you want to determine where the signature, date, initials, name, or other data appears on the page, click the yellow NEXT button.
- Tagging - Use the tagging screen to drag and drop fields for the signer to complete. The signer will be prompted to sign, initial, or enter data for most fields, but if you are using the Date Signed, Name, Email, or Company fields, those will autopopulate with the signer's information or with the date on which they are signing. When the document is tagged, press SEND.