Table of Contents:
To send a message to a Listserv, compose your email message as you normally would and send it to: email@example.com (where listname is the name of the Listserv to which you want to send your email).
This is called "sending mail to the list," because you send mail to a single address and Listserv makes copies and sends those copies to all the people who are subscribed to that list.
Depending on the set up of the Listserv, you will receive one of the following response types:
- By default, the Listserv requires a confirmation of your intent to post, authorized senders to a list will receive a "Confirmation Required" response from the Listserv server.
- To review your posting prior to approving it, click on your original posting in the Attachment field of the Confirmation Request email.
- To approve your posting via email, click Reply on the Confirmation Request email and type "OK" without the quotes (") in the body of the email and send it.
- To approve your posting automatically, click the approval link at the bottom of the Confirmation Request. Keep in mind that this link will immediately post the message to the Listserv, so use this link with care.
- If you are not authorized to send to an editor-controlled Listserv, you will receive a notice that your posting has been sent to the Listserv's moderator for review and approval. Your email will then only be posted to the Listserv at the moderator's discretion.
- If you are not authorized to send to a closed (private) Listserv, you will receive a notice stating that your are not authorized to post to the Listserv. If you wish to pursue sending an email to a closed Listserv, then you may attempt to contact the Listserv owner by sending an email to: listname[email protected]