Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is provided free of charge to faculty, staff, students, and researchers of UCSF.
SEP is designed to detect, remove, and prevent the spread of viruses, spyware, and other security risks. The SEP client combines various client security technologies under a single application to help protect your computer without sacrificing performance.
SEP provides Windows, Macs, and Linux computers with anti-virus (AV) and anti-spyware. SEP scans local hard disks and monitors file access to detect potential threats and blocks any unnecessary access until the threat has been resolved. On Windows and Mac computers, for added protection against network-related threats, SEP also provides intrusion prevention (IPS). Windows computers also receive additional network protections in the form of, proactive threat scanning, and personal firewall capabilities.
In addition, the UCSF SEP clients will automatically keep both the client software and security definitions (AV and IPS) updated for the most complete protection.
|Anti-Spyware (AS) / Anti-malware||X||X||X|
|Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)||X||X|
|Personal Firewall (FW)||X|
|Web Browser IPS||X|
|Automatic Product Updates||X||X|
- 32-bit Windows: 1GHz PentiumIII equivalent or above (Note: Itanium is NOT supported)
- 64-bit Windows: 2GHz Pentium 4 equivalent with x86-64 support or above (Note: Itanium is NOT supported)
- 64-bit MacOS X: Intel Core 2 Duo or later
- Linux: Pentium 4 (2 GHz) or above
- Windows: 512MB minimum (1GB Recommended, or higher if required by OS)
- MacOS 10.7+: 2GB minimum
- Linux: 1 GB
- Hard Drive:
- Windows: 2GB free space on system drive
- MacOS X: 2GB free space on system drive
- Linux: 7 GB free space
- Display Resolution:
- 800 x 600 minimum
Supported Operating System:
- Windows (non-server):
- 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8 Embedded
- 7 (32-bit, 64-bit, RTM, and SP1)
- 7 Embedded Standard
- Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
- XP Home or Professional
- 32-bit: SP3
- 64-bit: all SPs
- XP Embedded (SP3)
- MacOS X (non-server):
- 10.8.x - 10.11.x (64-bit)
10.7.x (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2: SP1 and SP2)
- Windows Server 2003 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2: SP1 or later)
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit)
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
- Windows Small Business Server 2003 (32-bit)
- Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
- MacOS X Server 10.8.x+ (64-bit)
- Embedded Systems
- ( *please open ServiceNow ticket for more information )
- Virtualization products:
- Windows Azure
- Amazon Workspaces
- VMware WS 5.0 (workstation) or later
- VMware GSX 3.2 (enterprise) or later
- VMware ESX 2.5 (workstation) or later
- VMware ESXi 4.1 - 5.5
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V
- Citrix XenServer 5.6 or later
- Virtual Box, supplied by Oracle
Obtaining the SEP Client installers
The UCSF SEP Client installer is updated weekly to have the latest security definitions for the most up-to-date protection.
Download the latest UCSF Client installer from the [email protected] Download site.
Installation guides for Windows, Macs, and Linux clients can be found by clicking on the tutorial links on left sidebar.
We also have Frequently Asked Questions pages for each operating system also available through the left sidebar.
For additional help, please
Contact the IT Service Desk
Email: [email protected].