UCSF Box allows you to designate folder(s) in which users can email files directly to Box by sending an attachment to a unique email address. The upload is secure because Box scans every attachment before it is uploaded to Box and quarantines the attachment if malware is discovered. Once the file has been posted to Box, CipherCloud will scan it for UCSF PHI as it would if it were uploaded via the Box web console or via Box Sync.
Follow the instructions below to enable email uploads.
- Log in to your UCSF Box account and select the options icon for the folder you would like to enable email uploads to and select Settings.
- Scroll down to Uploading and select the Allow uploads to this folder via email checkbox.
- Send an email with an attachment to the Upload Email Address assigned to your folder.
- The attached file will appear within the Box folder that was designated for email uploads. Both folder owner and the sender of the email containing the attachment will receive a notification that it has been successfully uploaded.
Email Uploads Settings
- Allow uploads to this folder via email – Selecting this will activate the Email Uploads feature. Once activated, emailing the provided Upload Email Address will upload email attachments into this folder. Only editors, co-owners, and owners can activate the Email Uploads feature.
- Only allow email uploads from collaborators in this folder – Restrict the ability to upload email attachments to this folder to only users who are a collaborator of this folder. Only editors, co-owners, and owners can select this setting.
- Overwrite files with the same name when uploading by email or widget – While this setting is not recommended, it replaces files of the same name with the newest version. When unselected, files with the same name will automatically be renamed so that no data is deleted. Only co-owners and owners can select this setting.