Before you start inviting collaborators to your shared folder, you will need to understand the differences of the permission levels for you to make your best judgement calls.
- Co-owner – A Co-owner has full read/write access to a folder. Once invited to a folder, they will be able to view, download, upload, edit, delete, copy, move, rename, generate and edit shared links, make comments, assign tasks, create tags, and invite/remove collaborators. This permission level has the added ability of being able to edit folder settings. A Co-Owner can add new collaborators, change access levels of existing collaborators, and remove collaborators. However, they will not be able to manipulate the Owner of the folder or transfer ownership to another user. If an owner leaves UCSF, the folder or files will still become inaccessible to the rest of the collaborators even if a co-owner is designated. A co-owner is not the same thing as the owner. When leaving UCSF, you will still need to transfer ownership of your folders to collaborators.
- Editor – An Editor has all of the functional read/write access that a Co-owner does except for the ability of being able to edit folder settings. They will not be able to delete or move root level folders. In order to use Box Sync, you need to have editor, owner, or co-owner access on the files that are syncing.
- Viewer Uploader – This access level is a combination of Viewer and Uploader. A Viewer Uploader has full read access to a folder and limited write access. They are able to preview, download, add comments, generate shared links, and upload content to the folder. They will not be able to add tags, invite new collaborators, or delete items in the folder. To update a file, users with this permission can either use Box Edit or download a file, edit it locally, and re-upload using the same file name.
- Previewer Uploader – This access level is a combination of Previewer and Uploader. A Previewer Uploader has limited read and write access to a folder. They are able to preview, add comments, add tasks, and upload content to the folder. They will not be able to add tags, generate shared links, invite new collaborators, edit or delete items in the folder.
- Viewer – A Viewer has full read access to a folder. Once invited to a folder, they will be able to preview, download, make comments, and generate shared links. They will not be able to add tags, invite new collaborators, edit shared links, upload, edit or delete items in the folder.
- Previewer – A Previewer has limited read access. They will only be able to preview the items in the folder using the integrated content viewer. They will not be able to share, upload, edit, or delete any content.
- Uploader – An Uploader has limited write access. They will only be able to upload and see the names of the items in a folder. They will not able to download or view any content.
For a more in depth table of the different permission levels, please see below.
Go BackHomeGo Forward