This content is viewable by Everyone
Box to Teams Manual Migration Guide
UCSF is keeping Box as a separate collaborative storage platform, and tightening the Box integrations with Office 365. If you want to move your data from Box to Office 365 yourself, please follow these instructions.
Office 365 Storage Overview
On Box everything is owned by individual users. On Office 365 most files are owned by teams, where they are stored on Team sites on SharePoint. OneDrive is meant to be for individual users’ files not shared with groups.
Files on OneDrive or on Team sites can be synced to your local computer using (confusingly) the OneDrive desktop application. This guide will walk you through how to transfer files from Box to a Team site. Transferring files from Box to OneDrive uses a similar method, described at the end.
Preparation & Caveats
- Before you start, you will need Box Drive and OneDrive installed on your computer.
- Identify folders on Box that you want to share with one team. The person performing the migration should be the owner or a co-owner or editor of the folders on Box.
- When you transfer files from Box to Team sites you will only transfer the current version of the file. You will lose all sharing permissions (including links) and all access data. The team members will all receive editor rights to the files you move.
- Warn your Box collaborators that you will be moving the files to the team, then remove all the collaborators from the Box folders you are moving. This way you won’t end up with new versions on Box after moving your files to your Team site.
- Do not transfer Box Notes. They will not work without a Box account. Instead we recommend copying the contents of your Box Notes to OneNote.
- Create your team. We recommend using a Professional Learning Community (PLC) team unless the team is for supporting educational programs.
- In the General tab click on the Files tab
- Mac: Click Sync.
- Windows: Click Open in SharePoint, log into SharePoint, then click Sync.
- You will now see a University of California, San Francisco folder on your computer, separate from your OneDrive - University of California, San Francisco folder.
- In the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer, open your Box and University of California, San Francisco folders side by side.
- Drag the folders you want from Box to the [Team name] - General folder in the University of California, San Francisco folder.
To migrate files from Box to OneDrive use the same technique but copy folders to OneDrive - University of California, San Francisco.
Don’t forget to delete your files from Box after you’ve verified that you have everything you need in your Team site.