This content is viewable by Everyone
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)
How to Request Access
Included with UCSF account.
Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is provided free of charge to UCSF faculty, staff, students and researchers. SEP is designed to (1) detect, remove and prevent the spread of viruses, spyware and other security risks and (2) provide Windows, Mac and Linux computers with anti-virus (AV) and anti-spyware protection. In addition, UCSF SEP clients automatically keep both the client software and security definitions (AV and IPS) updated for the most complete protection.
The SEP client combines various client security technologies under a single application. This helps protect your computer without sacrificing performance.
SEP scans local hard disks and monitors file access to detect potential threats. If SEP detects a threat, it blocks any unnecessary access until the threat has been resolved. On Windows and Mac computers, for added protection against network-related threats, SEP also provides intrusion prevention (IPS). Windows computers receive additional network protection in the form of proactive threat scanning and personal firewall capabilities.
|Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)||X||X|
|Personal Firewall (FW)||X|
|Web Browser IPS||X|
|Automatic Product Updates||X||X|
- 32-bit Windows: 1GHz Pentium III equivalent or above (Note: Itanium is not supported)
- 64-bit Windows: 2GHz Pentium 4 equivalent with x86-64 support or above (Note: Itanium is not supported)
- 64-bit Mac OS X: Intel Core 2 Duo or later
- Linux: Pentium 4 (2 GHz) or above
- Windows: 512MB minimum (1GB recommended, higher if required by OS)
- macOS 10.14+: 2GB minimum
- Linux: 1 GB
- Windows: 2GB free space on system drive
- Mac OS X: 2GB free space on system drive
- Linux: 7 GB free space
- Display resolution:
- 800 x 600 minimum
Supported operating systems
- 11 (64-bit)
- 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- 8 Embedded
- 7 (32-bit, 64-bit, RTM and SP1)
- 7 Embedded Standard
Mac OS X (nonserver):
- 10.14.x - 12.0.x (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2: SP1 and SP2)
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit)
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
- Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
Open a ServiceNow ticket for more information.
- Windows Azure
- Amazon Workspaces
- VMware WS 5.0 (workstation) or later
- VMware GSX 3.2 (enterprise) or later
- VMware ESX 2.5 (workstation) or later
- VMware ESXi 4.1 to 5.5
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V
- Citrix XenServer 5.6 or later
- Virtual Box, supplied by Oracle
Obtaining the SEP client installers
The UCSF SEP client installer is updated weekly to have the latest security definitions for the most up-to-date protection. Download the latest UCSF client installer from [email protected] Download.
To access installation guides for Windows, Mac and Linux clients, click on the tutorial links on the left sidebar. Frequently Asked Questions pages for each operating system are also available via the left sidebar.
For additional help, contact the IT Service Desk:
Email: [email protected].