What you need to know
Basic Desktop Support is available for computers and devices that meet the following criteria:
- The supported equipment is University property, not personally owned.
- The computer is 5 years old or less at time of subscription.*
- The computer is running Windows 7, Windows 10 or MacOS released within the last 2 years.*
- Windows computers purchased after May 13, 2013, must have a TPM chipset.
- All computers must be encrypted.
- Support technician administrative access exists or can be created on the computer. This can be a local admin account or a domain account with admin access.
- IT can re-image a computer when necessary to resolve an incident or complete a service request. We only back up user profiles, so make sure you have installers and licenses for nonstandard software.
- The Service Desk has the ability to remotely control the computer with the client’s authorization.
- Smartphones and tablets: iPhones and iPads must have the current version of iOS; Android devices, 4 or greater.
- Printers must be standard.
Support for devices and applications not covered under Basic Support are available by special arrangement for an hourly charge.
*Once the equipment is under subscription, even if it is more than 5 years old, it will continue to be supported in its current state at the basic level. If there is a hardware or operating system failure, repairs will be supported on a time-and-materials basis at $82 per hour. Additional warranty coverage can usually be purchased to prolong the life of a computer.