This content is viewable by Everyone
Exemption from IT Field Services
Impacted Services IT Field Services (ITFS) Desktop Support
Basic science research exemption
Responsibilities of exempt users
The UCSF IT Field Services (ITFS) group provides consistent and excellent desktop support to all members of the UCSF community. To help fulfill the Chancellor’s Operational Excellence initiative, our mandate includes hardware, software and service standardization in order to achieve savings, provide business continuity and manage risk. For answers to your questions, see our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us at [email protected].
Beginning in January 2015, all nonexempt faculty and staff have been automatically enrolled in ITFS monthly service.
- New faculty and staff appear in ServiceNow every night.
- ServiceNow compares them against the exemption criteria to determine their eligibility. (see Note: under Exempt positions).
- If they are eligible, they are assigned ITFS - Basic monthly service.
- If they are exempt, ServiceNow assigns them to a local IT service provider within UCSF or to ITFS - Hourly if there is no local IT support.
- The new hire's manager receives notification of the enrollment with a link to the Account Request Form (ARF for ITFS), which can be used to upgrade to Premium support, grant access to file servers and enable other functions.
Trainees, volunteers, employees of affiliated organizations, those outside of the ITFS service area and those in specific job classifications whose work doesn’t require computers are exempt from automatic enrollment in ITFS monthly service. No exemption request is required for these title codes. Departments can pay for ITFS monthly or hourly service for these employees, if they choose.
Note: Review of exempt positions, an automated nightly process, relies on the accuracy and completeness of HR data including title code, affiliation, building code, department and WOS flag. Inaccurate or missing HR data may lead to the enrollment of an individual who should be automatically exempt. In these cases, the department will need to work with HR to ensure the employee data is accurate and complete.
- Students, including professional, masters and doctoral students
- Residents, including interns, house staff and chief residents
- Fellows, but only when they are in their training program
- Postdoctoral scholars (postdocs)
- Staff volunteers
- Unpaid interns
- Volunteer clinical faculty
- Faculty with WOS appointments
Employees of affiliated organizations
- Alameda County Medical Center
- Gladstone Institutes
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Veterans Affairs Medical Centers
Exempt title codes
This is the complete list of exempt title codes. Some of the following staff title codes are exempt because their work doesn't require the use of a computer. Supervisory versions of these title codes are not automatically exempt.
|Title Code||Title Name||Type|
|0359||ANML CARE MGR 1|
|0390||FACILITIES MANAGER 1|
|0393||FOOD SERVICES MANAGER 1|
|0441||CUSTODIAL MGR 1|
|0502||EXECUTIVE CHEF 5|
|1118||VISITING PROFESSOR - FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1132||PROF EMERITUS (WOS)||Faculty|
|1218||VST ASSOC PROFESSOR-FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1318||VST ASST PROFESSOR -FISCAL YR||Faculty|
|1712||VIS ASST PROF-HCOMP||Faculty|
|1713||VIS ASSOC PROF-HCOMP||Faculty|
|2037||ASSOC CLIN PROF-VOL||Faculty|
|2057||ASST CLIN PROF-VOL||Faculty|
|2311||TEACHG ASST-NON GSHIP||Trainee|
|2312||TEACHG ASST-GSHIP/NON REP||Trainee|
|2313||TEACHG ASST-NON GSHIP/NON REP||Trainee|
|2708||RESID PHYS I/NON REP||Trainee|
|2724||RESID PHYS II-VIII/NON REP||Trainee|
|2725||CHIEF RESID PHYS-NON REP||Trainee|
|2726||RESID PHYS/SUBSPEC 4-8/NON REP||Trainee|
|2727||POST DDS I-VI/NON REP||Trainee|
|2728||PGY I PHARMACY RESID/NON REP||Trainee|
|2729||PGY II PHARMACY RESID/NON REP||Trainee|
|2732||OTH POST-MD TRAIN 2-8/NON REP||Trainee|
|2735||STIPEND-OTH POST-MD TRAIN||Trainee|
|2737||OTH POST DDS/NON REP||Trainee|
|2740||NON-PHYS CLIN TRAIN||Trainee|
|3218||VIS ASSOC RES||Trainee|
|3228||VIS ASST RES||Trainee|
|3249||SENATE EMERITUS (WOS)||Faculty|
|3256||INTERIM POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLAR -EMPLOYEE|
|3282||GSR-FULL FEE REM||Trainee|
|3800||NON-SENATE ACAD EMERITUS(WOS)||Faculty|
|4000||STDT AID OUTSIDE AGENCY||Trainee|
|4011||RECREATION PRG INSTR||Staff|
|4127||RECR PRG INSTR 1|
|4128||RECREATION PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR 2||Staff|
|4129||RECR PRG INSTR 3|
|4133||RECR PRG LEADER 2 BYA|
|4134||RECR PRG LEADER 3 BYA|
|4135||RECR PRG LEADER 4 BYA|
|4382||FOOD SERVICES SUPERVISOR 1 HEALTHCARE|
|4400||RECR PRG LEADER 4|
|4401||RECR PRG LEADER 3|
|4402||RECR PRG LEADER 2|
|4672||CLERK SR OR SECR||Staff|
|4739||STDT INTERN PD||Trainee|
|4822||MAIL PROCESSOR SR||Staff|
|4824||MAIL PROCESSOR AST||Staff|
|4921||STDT AST 2||Staff|
|5044||SKILLED CRAFTS & TRADES SUPERVISOR 2|
|5060||STOREKEEPER SR LD||Staff|
|5099||CUSTODIAN SR PD||Staff|
|5167||LIGHT FIXTURE ATTENDANT||Staff|
|5187||CUSTODIAL SUPV 1|
|5188||Custodial Supervisor 2|
|5196||FACILITIES MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST 4i|
|5200||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 3 B||Staff|
|5201||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 3 A||Staff|
|5202||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 2||Staff|
|5203||MEETING ROOM CAPTAIN 1||Staff|
|5231||QA CHEF 3|
|5232||EXECUTIVE CHEF 4|
|5332||PARKING REPR LD||Staff|
|5333||PARKING REPR SR||Staff|
|5441||FOOD SVC CRD||Staff|
|5452||FOOD SVC WORKER LD||Staff|
|5455||FOOD SVC WORKER PD||Staff|
|5456||FOOD SVC WORKER SR PD||Staff|
|5650||FOOD SVC WORKER PRN||Staff|
|5651||FOOD SVC WORKER SR||Staff|
|5652||FOOD SVC WORKER||Staff|
|5821||LINEN SVC HEAD SR||Staff|
|5822||LINEN SVC HEAD WORKER||Staff|
|5832||LINEN SVC WORKER SR||Staff|
|5833||LINEN SVC WORKER||Staff|
|5835||LAUNDRY ROTARY PRESS OPR||Staff|
|5841||LAUNDRY MACHINE OPR SR||Staff|
|5842||LAUNDRY MACHINE OPR||Staff|
|5863||POWER SEWING MACHINE OPR||Staff|
|6095||ANML CARE MGR 3|
|6096||ANML CARE MGR 2|
|6249||ANIMAL CARE SUPERVISOR 2||Staff|
|6250||ANIMAL CARE SUPERVISOR 1|
|6261||ANML CARE HOSP SUPV 1|
|6543||CUSTODIAL MGR 2|
|6957||FACILITIES SUPERVISOR 2|
|8097||PHYS PLT LABORER GARDENER B||Staff|
|8098||PHYS PLT LABORER GARDENER A||Staff|
|8114||SENIOR SUPERINTENDENT OF PHYSICAL PLANT SUPERVISOR||Staff|
|8115||PHYS PLT SUPT||Staff|
|8116||PHYS PLT SUPT AST||Staff|
|8172||PHYS PLT MECH SR||Staff|
|8174||PHYS PLT MECH||Staff|
|8211||BLDG MAINT WORKER LD||Staff|
|8212||BLDG MAINT WORKER SR||Staff|
|8213||BLDG MAINT WORKER||Staff|
|8311||LAB GLASSBLOWER PRN||Staff|
|8312||LAB GLASSBLOWER SR||Staff|
|8314||LAB GLASSBLOWER TRAINEE||Staff|
|8485||AUTO EQUIP OPR PRN||Staff|
|8486||AUTO EQUIP OPR SR||Staff|
|8487||AUTO EQUIP OPR||Staff|
|8535||LAUNDRY TRUCK DRIVER||Staff|
|9453||ATH TRAINER 1|
|9454||ATHLETIC TRAINER 2|
|9455||ATHLETIC TRAINER 3|
|9456||ATH TRAINER 4|
|9459||ATH TRAINING SUPV 2|
|9460||ATH TRAINER PD||Staff|
|9461||MASSAGE THERAPIST 2||Staff|
|9521||ANIMAL RESC MGR||Staff|
|9522||ANIMAL RESC SUPV||Staff|
|9523||ANIMAL TCHN PRN||Staff|
|9524||ANIMAL TCHN SR||Staff|
|9526||ANIMAL TCHN AST||Staff|
|9534||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 4||Staff|
|9535||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 3||Staff|
|9536||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 2||Staff|
|9537||ANIMAL HEALTH TCHN 1||Staff|
Geographic service area
The following campuses and locations are included in the ITFS geographic service area. This list is not complete, so please ask if your location is not listed here.
- Laurel Heights
- Mission Bay
- Mission Center Building
- Mount Zion
- Parnassus Heights
- San Francisco General Hospital
- - - - -
- 50 Beale Street
- Buchanan Dental Center, 100 Buchanan Street
- China Basin Building, 185 Berry Street
- 3360 Geary Boulevard
- 2300 Harrison Street
- Hunters Point Facility, 900 Palou Avenue
- 2727 Mariposa Street
- 1930 Market Street
- 654 Minnesota Street
- 982 Mission Street
- 220 Montgomery Street
ITFS is not able to provide on-site support at the San Francisco VA Medical Center or at personal residences. If you have questions about a specific service location, contact us at [email protected].
Basic Science Research Exemption
Departments can request exemptions for full-time research FTEs who do not work with restricted data at any time in the course of their employment. Exemptions require approval from the Department Manager, Department Chair and Dean or EVCP. Before submitting a request, carefully review the definition of restricted data (including confidential information, personal information and protected or research health information) in UCSF administrative policy 650-16.
To request an exemption:
- For each lab, the Principal Investigator or staff designated in requesting an exemption for any lab member(s) can complete the online Account Request Form: ITFS Subscription Request; one request per lab.
- Be sure to review the Title Code list above to determine which lab members you will be exempting.
- When completing the online Account Request Form: ITFS Subscription Request, you will select “Request an ITFS subscription exemption – BSRE” under the field ITFS Subscription Type. This will prompt the Basic Science Research Exemption policy information for you to review the risk and any financial impact from a lack of compliance.
- Enter the name of the lab member(s) requesting for exemption.
- Enter the names of the approvers per the 4 levels listed in the order below.
- Name of Principle Investigator
- Name of Department Lab Manager
- Name of Department Lab Chair member
- Name of School Vice Dean, Dean or Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost (EVCP) with same level of approval. (Please note: SOM's appointed Vice Dean approver is Maye Chrisman. For SOP's, the appointed Vice Dean is Alesia Woods.)
- An email notification from Service Now will be sent to the approvers regarding the Basic Science Research Exemption request for approval, and must be approved directly from the email account the notification was sent to.
- Once all approvers have submitted their approvals, the requested lab member(s) listed will be exempted.
- If not approve by either one of the listed approvers, the request will not be able to complete, and the ticket will be closed.
- A new ticket will be required with the correct information if the exemption is still desired.
- Important: Basic Science Research Exemption requires renewal annually for continuing of exemption request.
For any questions regarding eligibility or how to fill out the form, contact us at [email protected].
Responsibilities of exempt users
In addition to excellent desktop support, ITFS helps you comply with information security laws and policies, and enrollment is a common corrective action in security audits. Exempt users are still personally responsible for awareness of and compliance with all relevant information security laws and policies. You can find more information about your responsibilities, including your personal liability, on the Customer Responsibilities page.
ITFS will annually review exemptions with department management to determine if any changes in eligibility or risk have occurred.