- UCSF Box allows you to designate folder(s) in which users can email files directly to Box by sending an attachment to a unique email address.
- Email attachments will be uploaded as long as they do not collectively exceed 80 MB.
- The body of the email will not be uploaded.
- The upload is secure because Box scans every attachment before it is uploaded to Box and quarantines the attachment if malware is discovered.
- Once the file has been posted to Box, CipherCloud will scan it for UCSF PHI as it would if the file were uploaded via the Box web console or Box Sync.
Steps to follow
Step 1. Log in to your UCSF Box account and select the options icon for the folder you want to enable to receive email uploads. Then select Settings.
Step 2. Scroll down to Uploading and select the Allow uploads to this folder via email checkbox.
Step 3. Send an email with an attachment to the Upload Email Address assigned to your folder.
Step 4. The attached file will appear within the Box folder that was designated for email uploads.
- Both the folder owner and the sender of the email containing the attachment will receive a notification that it has been successfully uploaded.
Email Uploads settings
You can select from the following three settings (see the image below):
- Allow uploads to this folder via email. Selecting this will activate the Email Uploads feature.
- Once Email Uploads is activated, emailing with the provided Upload Email Address will upload email attachments into this folder.
- Only editors, co-owners and owners can activate the Email Uploads feature.
- Only allow email uploads from collaborators in this folder. Selecting this will allow only users who are collaborators of this folder to upload email attachments to it.
- Only editors, co-owners and owners can select this setting.
- Overwrite files with the same name when uploading by email or widget. Use of this setting is not recommended.
- This is because it replaces files of the same name with the newest version.
- When it is unselected, files with the same name will automatically be renamed so that no data is deleted.
- Only co-owners and owners can select this setting.