Cisco Jabber basics
Cisco Jabber chat and instant messaging presence
Cisco Jabber for video calls
Cisco Jabber basics
What is Cisco Jabber Unified Communication (UC)?
- Cisco Jabber™ UC is UCSF’s new premier unified communications application for Windows, Mac and mobile clients that provides presence information, instant messaging, persistent chat room functionality and softphone capabilities to make and receive audio calls or video calls from a single user interface.
- Through the Jabber application, you can easily locate your contacts within the enterprise, see their presence status and view each other's presence status in real-time.
- The functionality currently supported includes Jabber UC softphone, instant messaging and persistent chat rooms.
How do I get the Cisco Jabber UC application?
- All UCSF users with active UCSF email accounts are configured for Cisco Jabber UC. However, users are required to download and install the appropriate Cisco Jabber UC client for their respective platforms, Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac operating systems.
- You can download this client from the UCSF Software download site. On the upper right-hand side, click on the Other Software link.
- To get IT help with activating your account or resolving a login issue, contact the IT Service Desk online or via phone at 415-514-4100.
- For mobile clients, download the latest Cisco Jabber app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
Which login credentials do I use to log into Cisco Jabber UC client?
Cisco Jabber UC client requires a two-step process to log in:
1. Type in your email address, email@example.com or your email username, firstname.lastname@example.org, and then click on the Continue button.
2. On the next screen, type in your email password (your email address username should be prepopulated; see image). If you sign out from Jabber client after a successful login, it remembers your username in its cache. The next time you sign in, you should only need to enter your email password.
After a successful login, you should be able to see the Cisco Jabber UC Hub, which will look similar to the image below.
Which operating systems are supported by the Cisco Jabber UC client?
At this time, the Cisco Jabber client 12.6 is available for the following operating systems:
- Apple MacOS Sierra 10.12 or later
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Android OS Marshmallow 6.0 or later
- Apple iOS 11 or later
Does Cisco Jabber UC work the same on different platforms and devices?
- Cisco Jabber UC works the same across platforms and any other devices, except for the Meetings option on the Mac client.
- From a remote location, Cisco Jabber UC clients for Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh require connection with Pulse Secure.
Are all Cisco Jabber UC features included in my account?
- All accounts are configured with instant messaging (encrypted chat) and presence.
- Jabber as a softphone for audio capability is available on demand by opening a ticket with the IT Service Desk.
Cisco Jabber chat and instant messaging presence
What kind of presence information is available in the Cisco Jabber UC client?
The Cisco Jabber UC client will show you when contacts are Available and Away as well as Do Not Disturb, just as with any other instant messaging client.
Can I change my availability status outside of the presence information?
You can change your status among Available, Away and Do Not Disturb from the drop-down menu at the top of the Cisco Jabber window under your name. You can also add a custom status if no default statuses match your current status.
How do I add a contact in the Cisco Jabber UC client?
- Click on the Search Bar and type the name of the person you want to add. The field will populate with the closest matches.
- Once you find the person you want to add: Click on that contact's icon with the + sign to add it to your contact list or existing group(s). If a group name does not already exist, choose New Group and type the name of the new group to create it.
Can I organize my contacts in the Cisco Jabber UC client?
Yes. To create a new group:
- Click on the Settings wheel (menu) on the top right, then click File > New > Group.
- Type the name of the new group you wish to add.
- To finish, click Create.
To move or copy an existing contact into the group:
- Right-click on the contact name and choose Move/Copy to Group.
- Choose the group into which you want to move the contact.
How do I start a chat session in the Cisco Jabber UC client?
To start a chat session:
- Double-click on the name of the contact with whom you want to chat, or
- Right-click on the contact name and choose Chat.
Note: You can change the fonts and color, send a screen capture, send a file, mention a user or add an emoticon to your message.
- Within the chat window, click on the ellipsis (upper right-hand side, by the Call icon) to reveal the Invite Participants link.
- Click on the Invite Participants link.
- Type the name of the person that you wish to add, then hit the Enter key to add it.
Note: Group chat is available only with contacts who are using their accounts on the Cisco Jabber service.
Are persistent chat rooms available? How do I create a new persistent chat room for my department or group?
Yes, persistent chat rooms are available. To create a persistent chat room:
1. To start, click on the Settings wheel on the top right of the client.
2. Click on File>New>Chat Room.
3. Select the appropriate settings for your new chat room (e.g., Name, Description, Public or Restricted). Optional: On the screen shown below, you can also choose a password and a moderator for the chat room you create.
4. For the Location, choose the Automatically select field from the drop-down menu.
5. Click the Create button.
Your newly created chat room will show in the My Rooms pane on the left side of the Jabber client.
Jabber for video calls
How do I start a video conference call?
To start a video conference call, you will need to either (1) join one of our on-premise video conferencing bridges or (2) know the conference room's SIP URI so that you can dial the room directly.
Note: The on-premise bridges and the conference room URIs look like email addresses. They must end in @ucsf.edu in order for Jabber UC to route the call to video conference infrastructure.
To initiate the video conference call:
- In the search bar of Jabber client, enter the bridge number or SIP URI, then pause and wait for a menu bar to appear (see image below).
- In the drop-down menu, click on the phone icon to start the call.
3. Alternatively, if you're trying to call a conference room from your contact list, simply search the contact in the search bar, then hover over the phone icon next to the contact to start the call.
The screen below shows the status of your Jabber client when a call is connected to a video conference room or bridge.
How do I save a video contact for future calls?
To save a custom contact in your Jabber client:
- Click on the Menu on the top right of your Jabber screen, then click on File>New>Custom Contact.
2. Provide a descriptive name for the custom contact.
3. In Work phone (the most important field), fill in the SIP URI address.
4. Choose the appropriate Add to: group (folder) where you want this contact to be seen in your Jabber client.
5. Click on Create.
Once you've created a custom contact, you can see it in your Contacts folder.
How do I control the sounds that my Cisco Jabber UC client makes? How do I change my status settings?
Sounds can be controlled via the Options menu. Within the Cisco Jabber client window:
- Click on the Settings wheel on the top right of Jabber client, then click File >Options>notifications.
- Under the Sounds option on the bottom right side of the window, select the appropriate notification setting based on your preference.
To change status settings:
- Click on the Status option on left side of the window.
- Select the appropriate setting based on your availability.
How can I troubleshoot Jabber contact search and audio/video calls issues?
If, when trying to make an audio/video call, (1) you're having issues searching contacts on your Jabber client search bar or (2) you're unable to see the phone icon next to a contact:
- Click on the Settings wheel on the top right of your Jabber client.
- Go to Help, then click on Show Connection Status.
- Ensure that you have a green checkbox next to the Softphone, Presence and Directory sections. (Softphone service is responsible for Jabber client's audio/video capability, and Directory service allows you to search contacts within UCSF.)
- To fix either issue, you can sign out from the client, then sign back in.
- If the issue persists, contact the IT Service Desk at 415-514-4100 or open a ticket online at http://help.ucsf.edu.
Note: Jabber Reset will reset to the default configuration, deleting all your custom preferences as well as your Chat/Phone history. Once reset, it cannot be reverted.
Cisco Jabber UC
Cisco Jabber UC IM FAQs